This gallery contains 3 photos.
This gallery contains 8 photos.
This gallery contains 5 photos.
An Experiment Succeeds!
I’ve had trouble growing Grammatophyllums for many years thinking (blaming) my poor luck on the weather, the ongoing emissions from our Volcano, and my lack of skill or focus. I was at an orchid society meeting with Roy Tokunaga of H&R Orchids as the speaker. I saw his awarded plant covered with so many blooms that the plant disappeared. He said his method stopped the inner bulbs from rotting, which had been my problem. Following his method, I cut off ALL the roots from the bulbs; most were bad anyway. I put the naked pseudobulb in a clean pot with rigid styrofoam chunks just to hold it in place. I put the pots back on the bench and watered with everything else. After a few months I removed the styrofoam, a piece at a time. I pulled this one out of the pot for the pix. The new beautiful roots are growing to the pots with NO medium. Now there is nothing to rot and the roots couldn’t be happier. Give it a try.
As an orchid addict, I found it difficult or impossible to throw away unhealthy plants. I’ll bet a few of you out there can relate. With much trial and error, I figured out how to bring them back to health. When I was sure the plant was virused or had bacteria, I threw it away. Bacteria has a nasty smell that’s hard to forget. Virused is more difficult, but I tried to err on the side of safety and tossed when in doubt. That left the fungus infected and just unhappy-with-me plants. Why I had so many unhappy plants would be the real issue, but in the process of it all, I learned a whole lot about Landscaping with Orchids. Below are some of the survivors.